Michael Whelan is much in demand for interviews and lectures about his work and career. Here are some common questions and topics covered in these discussions and his thoughts on the subjects. If you have a question about something not covered, please contact us. We will ask Michael and let you know his answer. If it’s a great question, we may include it in the FAQ’s.
- We offer many reproductions in our online shop that are already signed by Michael Whelan.
- We post news here on the website and try to give you advance notice whenever Michael is making a personal appearance and he usually signs autographs then.
- If you have a question about a personalization on an item you are ordering from our online shop, please contact us.
- Michael sincerely appreciates all your enthusiasm and support and it is difficult for him to say “no” to fans, but he cannot allow any altering of his images. Every presentation of his artwork reflects on his craft and he cannot guarantee quality reproduction on any site except this one.
- If an image is taken from a book cover or other illustration, there is also the author, musician, or publisher’s copyright to consider.
- It would violate copyright laws to use his copyrighted image in any commercial transaction without his express permission, but Michael does allow you to have one of his images reproduced as a tattoo on your own body. Although in strict terms the tattoo artist is being paid for the service and it is a commercial transaction, Michael Whelan grants his permission on a one-time basis.
- If you have some other personal project in mind, please contact us in advance at moc.n1422195263alehW1422195263leahc1422195263iM@la1422195263geL1422195263 for his approval.
Many of his album covers over the years have featured previously created images from his illustration and personal gallery work. For more information about secondary rights, see the question below.
For quickest response be sure to provide relevant details on the project in your initial inquiry, such as how the artwork will be used (as the cover of a book or an interior illustration?), the size of the print run (if applicable), and your budget.
If you have sent an email regarding an order you have placed and not received a reply, please call us at 203-798-6063.
If you have a general question, be sure to read through the FAQ’s – your question may be answered here.
REPRODUCTIONS & OTHER PRODUCTS
We have had an exclusive Michael Whelan website since 1996 with online ordering since 1998.